A-Scouting She Will Go

Thursday, August 18, 2011

| | |
I've made the decision to pass on the Girl Scouting tradition to my daughter.  Wow, believe it or not that is truly a scary thought.  You have to understand my family- they were Girl Scouting fools... my mother was a troop leader and a camp director, my sister was a girl scout practically from birth and moved on to being a camp counselor to being fully employed by the Girl Scouts for quite sometime.  As for me- well, let's just say I quit the Brownies after about 6 months, I was never terribly fond of Girl Scout Camp, and I did one tour of duty as a camp counselor after my senior year in high school (I was seriously just trying to save some money for college.)

So, why then would I put my daughter into the Girl Scouts? I suppose it boils down to the fact that I want to see her a little more interactive with other kids her age. She loves taekwondo, and that has done wonders for her self esteem I believe, but that is still not an altogether social environment. It's a class.  With Girl Scouting I think the experience could help bring her out of this shell she builds around other kids.  Not sure why- but honestly she can relate and carry on conversations with adults with a lot more ease than her peers.  All this at the age of five.  It's definitely time for Mommy to intervene.

Part of me is also a little excited at the prospect of the Girl Scouts.  She is more like my sister than myself, so maybe she too will find that life-long love for what the Scouts are.  Only time will tell.  If nothing else, it will be a new experience that she can add to the list of experiences I hope she is able to have in her lifetime... and of course... we can't forget the tasty cookies!  Look at Daisy Scouts- here Wild Child comes!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a good thing.

Leanne said...

I think it's a great idea and you are motivating me to look into the program for my girls. I was a scout, myself, and think it really does so many positive things for young kids. I think she will surprise you and it will be a really great activity for her. Love it!

Post a Comment