Smells Like Purple

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

| | |
A few days ago I asked my sister to give me a word- just one simple word that can kick-start the creative juices so I can hop back into the blogosphere (of course it was a rather long hop since I am just now writing several days later.) Anyhow, her word for me was "purple."  Hmmm...

What immediately popped into my mind, oddly enough, was the scene in "Under the Tuscan Sun" where Francis is describing her surroundings in a postcard.  Somewhere in there she uses the phrase "smells like purple"... or something like that (it's been a while since I've seen the movie.)  That has always stuck in my head.  This woman had let go of everything and in this one moment just gave in to all of her senses- literally soaking in every bit of her surroundings from the sights to the sounds (and even the smells!)  We all have such a tendency to be wrapped up in our own little worlds that a moment like that to let go almost seems impossible to fathom.

So, my goal right now is to take a day- sometime soon- to simply find a place where I too can be inspired by my surrounding, as Francis did, so much that I may sniff out- see- taste- touch all of the colors around me.  I am going to reach deep and pull out my inner Papa Hemmingway who was able to describe one view down a road in more words than I swear are in the Bible.  If I could take that one day to truly release all of the stressors and worries that consume me- I wonder if, or rather, my hopes are that I can finally break free this block when it comes to my own writing. I have a notebook full of story ideas; however, when it is time to actually sit and begin one of those stories- my words simply fail me. I cannot open up to my senses as I once did.  That is certainly a cry for needing one day to do nothing but explore the senses.

As E.L. Doctorow put it... "Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon."  I will make it my goal to feel the rain and smell the purple!  Thank you, Nicole, for that one word has inspired me!

  . 

*Image found at frontpagemag.com

1 comments:

Leanne said...

I just have to tell you . . . Even when you think you are blocked in the writing department, your words still inspire me and bring a smile to my face. Give your heart what it needs, and the words will be flowing soon. And until then, just tell us about it. (I have got to watch 'under the tuscan sun' again. It's been years since I last saw it, and your sister has referenced it a number of times, too. Maybe today is the day to dust off the DVD!)

Post a Comment